Sunday, January 18, 2009

Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms Like Food Withdrawl

One of the big problems with Food Addiction is you can't go cold turkey like you can will alcohol or drugs. You need a certain amount of food to enable your body to continue to function. Unlike abused drugs or alcohol which your body can function without just fine. I think the key is to find out which foods trigger the addictive behavior and treat those foods like you would any other deadly substance. You can still get good nutrition without eating the foods that trigger the madness associated with addiction.
In my case I think it is simple carbohydrates like white flour, sugar, and corn syrup. In particular, I think high fructose corn syrup has a powerful affect on me. As soon as it touches my tongue I can feel the affects. I get a warm feeling and I feel energized and "normal." This is the same results that alcoholics and drug addicts report when they use their drug of choice.
When I don't have these foods I start to get feelings just like alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I get irritable, I don't have any energy, and I just don't feel right. I can definitely tell that something is missing in me. When I start getting these food withdrawal symptoms my body is controlled by something other than my conscious brain. I walk to the candy machine and put my dollar in even though I know I don't want to eat junk food. It is like I no longer have any control over what I am doing.
These are classic alcohol withdrawal symptoms. I am going to view my trigger foods the same way alcoholics and addicts view their drugs of choice. Zero tolerance. I hope this will help combat my food addiction.

3 comments:

  1. A relapse prevention plan will provide the best success with alcoholism help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was definitely one of my favorite blogs. Every post published did impress me. גמילה מאלכוהול

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was definitely one of my favorite blogs. Every post published did impress me. גמילה מאלכוהול

    ReplyDelete