Thursday, January 8, 2009

Food Addiction and Diets

There are a lot of diets advertised for people who are over weight. What we consume is a big cause of the obesity in this country and other western societies. An interesting note is the people in other countries are also seeing their obesity levels rise as they consume a more western diet. We need to combat food addiction in two ways. We need to deal with what we eat and we need to deal with why we eat.
I think a diet is a good thing to get started on if you have a food addiction because it sets up a system for keeping track of the food you eat. This allows you to focus on the food and start to ask yourself if you are really hungry or if you are eating because of emotions. A diet I like is the cottage cheese diet. This is structured and it allows you to think about the food you are putting in your mouth.
Yesterday at work I had a candy bar and a bag of chips. Why? There were two causes. First, I started having withdrawl from carbs. I started feeling not very good and my head felt light. I really started telling myself that I needed some carbs to "feel better". I ate the candy bar and it didn't really help. Then I had a bag of Doritoes andI felt much better. Now today my pants are tight. I want to stop doing this.
The second reason was because we had a problem at work and I am always using food as a comforter. When I am stressed I tell myself that I will feel better if I eat. The eating does make me feel better then but the next day I feel rotten. I am going to use this blog to fight my food addictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment