Monday, January 5, 2009

Food Addictions Suck

This blog is going to be about food addictions and how to fight them. Obesity is of monumental proportions (no pun intended) today. In the US, and more frequently in other countries, overeating has become a pass time with the result being that we have become more unhealthy than ever. This current generation of children in the US may be the first generation ever which will have a shorter average life span than their parents. This has got to stop. We cannot continue to eat ourselves into an early grave.

Food Addiction Matters

There are many reason why we are getting fatter as a society but one of the biggest is food addictions. We have completely lost sight of the real purpose of food which is to sustain our body for the physical labor required to go through our day to day lives. When was the last time you were hungry? I don't mean board and looking in the fridge or cupboard for something to eat because you didn't have anything else to do. I mean the kind where your stomach has little cramps and maybe you get a little light headed. The kind of hungry you get from not eating for a day or two days. I bet it has been a long time.
Our western society has more calories available than at any time in history. With our current transportation systems there is nothing we can't have for a fairly reasonable price. Up until the last few centuries most people had no idea what a sweetener was unless they were lucky enough to find a bee's nest. Now sugar is so cheap we have to have government subsidies in order to keep the sugar cane and sugar beet farmers in business. Consequently, sugar or corn syrup is added to almost everything which in turn increases the calorie count for the food.
I think this added sugar is also fueling our food addictions. Our bodies are addicted to the white stuff (not cocaine) and we go into withdrawls when we don't get it. I know half way through the day I start feeling really bad unless I have some chips or a candy bar. Instantly, when I eat these I start feeling better and within a few minutes I have a great sugar high. The only way to combat this is to stop eating processed foods. Eat naturally and you can limit the amount of extra sugar added to your life.
As we go along I will be blogging about my fight against food addiction. I hope I can help you to learn how to live without thinking of food every minutes. I don't have the answers yet but I will explore options and let you know what I find. Together, we can fight
food addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment